The past few days have been a bit hectic with information and misinformation about Power Rangers Megaforce, so hopefully I can break it down for you with some commentary. Here we go:
1. Megaforce is using Goseiger for adaption because Saban isn’t skipping Sentai seasons. Why would they anyway? “Oh yes, let’s skip this entire season so that we can throw money out the window. No worries!” Gokaiger did make more sense for an anniversary season, but let’s be honest. The fans made this item more newsworthy than it really was suppose to be. I got caught up in the hype too because it was so “obvious” that Gokaiger was going to be used. It should have been more obvious to us that skipping seasons wouldn’t make financial and television production sense.
2. According to Rangercrew Media, Megaforce “will have an original story that is centered on five high-school teenagers. The concept sounds familar to the first season (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) [...], but the story will be completely new and original.” For example, “RoboKnight (placeholder name) will appear fairly early in the season.” As much as I’d like to believe that Megaforce will be different from the Sentai counterpart, I’ll believe it when I see it. We are still in the hype machine that is the Licensing Expo, to be fair.
3. Promotion for Power Rangers Megaforce will be in full swing starting with San Diego Comic-Con. Saban Brands will have a big presence there and at Power Morphicon with “MEGA” surprises and giveaways. (Yes, they said “MEGA”. No, I’m not making this up.) Megaforce will also be in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, so promotion for the new season will not be lacking. Disney could learn something.
(Courtesy: Rangercrew Media)
- « Power Rangers Samurai Cast Appearing at San Diego Comic-Con and Power Morphicon
- » Austin St. John, Walter Jones, and Paul Schrier in Short Film “Steps Towards the Sun”